Monday, June 13, 2011

Kansas City Zoo Trip

The weather cooperated this weekend and we decided to go ahead with our plans to take the kids to the Kansas City Zoo. It was a pretty uneventful day, but the weather was AMAZING and the kids didn't fuss once! My 2y/o daughter really enjoyed checking out all of the familiar animals. She talked non-stop about giraffes, zebras, lions, el-fants, kangaroos, and all of the other animals. She even tweeted at the birds :) The parking lot was crazy so I thought for sure that it was going to be a miserably packed trip to the zoo but I was pleasantly suprised at how well we got around. I also didn't realize you could take coolers in until I saw about 10 people with coolers, so heads up for next time, we are taking coolers (2.50 for bottled water, sheesh!)

Here are some pics I snapped while we were there:


We really liked the exhibits where you can walk around with the animals, it really gives you that "up close and personal" feel that I think children especially really enjoy.


This lion was giving us the crazy eye!

I love how they have the walkway next to where the Giraffes are, if you are there at the right time you can get super close to these guys! Also, the African Sky Safari will be going right over that area when it opens. I personally think it will be awesome but Hubbs had anxiety at even the thought of taking the kids that high up. We will see if I get to take the kiddos on it this year.

Now, the elephants were the BEST part of the whole day! They had an employee in with them and he was handing them paintbrushes and letting them paint. My 2y/o LOVED that. Finger paints are a HUGE hit with her and to see that her friends, the el-fants love to paint too was thrilling to her. She talked about elfants paintin' all day yesterday.


My favorite shot of the day


Elfants getting rewarded for their mad painting skills. They better give them treats, they were selling the elephant paintings for TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS! Yeah, no thanks.



I did finally get to a point where I am able to stay home with my kids more. I am quitting my full-time job and staying home with my kids while taking on some part-time work with a local photographer. I couldn't be any more excited! Finally pursuing a dream and getting more time with my rug-rats :) I am looking into becoming a FOTZ (Friend of the Zoo) Member and taking the kids out for the Toddling Troops at 9am on Thursdays but I just don't know if I can get myself out of bed and wrangle the kids up to leave the house in time to get there by 9! We shall see! Have any of you other moms participated in special zoo events? How did they go for you? Let me know, I'd love to hear :)

April

No comments: